Wednesday, February 19, 2014

'To Kateri'

My talented sister Jeanne wrote this beautiful poem. I asked her if I could share it on the blog and she graciously agreed. It is a poem I will treasure, and I hope that you enjoy it as well!



to Kateri

Can I tell you a secret about the day you were born?
Mother's pain was joyfully fierce.
Daddy was sick with nervous joy.
And I went through the day in a daze.

That was your day, born into love.
And I was so proud of your perfect life.
You learned to breathe on your own
We all adored your new little self.

Can I tell you a secret about the very first day we met?
Your big eyes were buttoned up in sleep
I was so afraid of your fragility
But I dared to touch your tiny hand.

Your hat began to slide off,
I was too afraid to move your head
to put it right, you were too fragile.
I held you with awe and adoration.

Can I tell you a secret about the day you smiled?
I was holding you and you smiled in your sleep.
it must have been a lovely dream. 
I wondered at your innocent beauty.

Your smile grew as you did.
I love the way your nose wrinkled
and your eyes shone with pure happiness.
I worked to see that precious smile.

Can I tell you a secret about the way you grew?
It seemed to be by leaps and bounds.
Small pearly teeth appeared,
and your hands learned to grasp.

Your eyes began to focus and recognize, 
and your laugh rang out so sweetly. 
You kicked your small feet with happiness.
And you reached for the ones you wanted.

Can I tell you a secret about my hopes for you?
You will grow up strong, happy, and holy. 
You will never cease to love.
You will go into the world unafraid.

You will find your strength in the God who loves you.
You will see your own beauty and worth.
You will not distrust, even if you get hurt,
And this is sure, You will always be loved by me.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful poem tribute to a lovely little baby! This poem is something to be treasured! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Aunt Betty, we will treasure it always!

      Delete