Saturday, February 22, 2014

A Few of My Favorite Things

1. Going on walks with this munchkin:


 
Yes. That is what she does with her mitten the entire time we are walking! But who wouldn't love going on walks with that cute little face?
 
But it is even better when we get to do our own luge: 


 With only an inch or so of lee-way on either side, I had some fun navigating these paths. I don't think we would have medaled in this event, we crashed into the side at least one too many times, much to Kateri's amusement. We also had to deal with the rather troublesome problem of people walking in the opposite direction. Interesting dilemma.

But do you know what's even better then going on walks in the beautiful snow?

2. Seeing a glimpse of these peeking through the snow:



 Snowdrops! Yes! They are here and spring is on it's way! This wonderful warm weather we have been blessed with is melting the snow and warming the soil for these beautiful little flowers. And they are here to herald the spring, and to tell us to hope! Spring is on its way. There are a bunch of these little joyful flowers popping up underneath the trees at the entrance of Signal Hill Neighborhood. Look for them when you drive by!

3. Dreaming big dreams . . . I have been wanting to make something with the beautiful sewing machine my parents bought me for Christmas. Recently, while looking through a magazine, I came across this picture:





Isn't that quilt absolutely beautiful?! I love the colors and the combination of the different patterns and the crazy-quilt kind of piecing together with the bigger pieces. I would LOVE to make a quilt like that. Honestly, when I saw this picture, it made me want replicate this quilt and then do our entire guest room over so that it was decorated completely around that quilt. In fact, I contemplated going to buy blue paint and starting on the room immediately (funny how I didn't plan to actually make the quilt first!). And Pat, don't worry, I have since changed my mind and have some other scathingly brilliant plans for our guestroom. And, in the meantime, I'm going to be on the lookout for material like this that is on sale. Hmmm and I think I will go for more blue in the quilt, and no blue on the walls . . .
 
4. THIS:
 
 

 Honestly, you just don't even need any words at all to accompany the complete amazingness of this delicious concoction (as Jeanne would no doubt term it). It is simply scrumptious and a complete treat. But I will still add some words because the evening was perfectly splendid. Pat and I found a couple of gift cards that we had yet to use (yes!! Most exciting thing ever!). And we decided to go out on a date, which was the first date 'out' we've had in a long long time. We had gone to both of our company Christmas parties, which I suppose could be included in the 'date' category, but not in the same sense as a one-on-one chance to get away and just talk and relax. Pat's parents generously watched Kateri, and we headed off to enjoy some of the down-under delectables. It was fantastic! The steaks were delicious, and Pat, of course, came up with a way to enjoy one of his favorite mixed drinks while only paying for the soda. I am sure you can guess his method! So he also got to enjoy one of his favorite things, not paying an exorbitant price for a drink! I think our bill ended up being $3.00, so we were very happy and thankful for such a lovely evening!
 
 
5. Finding things that are a good deal. There is nothing like finding a little treasure, or something that you are in need of, or just a little extra 'splurge' that is a great deal! We went to The Store at my grandparents (Nonie and Nano's) on Friday, and I was excited to find a few things.  Here are a couple of them. The sweater is cashmere and so nice! Laura found it and generously declined getting it. I bought it for the exorbitant price of $1.00. Don't be jealous! We have been working on getting things more organized, so I bought the basket to put bibs in, which put me another $0.50 in the hole. The bibs are currently piled in a corner of the cabinet and they drive me nuts. So I am excited to try it out! And the third thing pictured was a complete splurge, but one of my favorite things as well, which brings me to my next point:
 


 
6. CANDLES! I absolutely love candles. Lately, I have been lighting one as soon as I have finished cleaning and have a chance to sit down. They are so pretty, and the scented ones make the whole room smell so nice. For the longest time, I would just hold on to candles and never ever use them, always waiting for the 'perfect opportunity' and feeling that I was 'wasting' it if I lit the candle when I was home alone. But I recently came to the realization that it is far better for these candles to be used and enjoyed than to be sitting in a forgotten drawer collecting dust. So it has been so so nice to have these candles lit in the afternoons or late mornings!
 
One of the things that I have always loved from the 'olden days' was the little candle holders that people would use at night while walking to their bedroom or around the house. They are so charming and old fashioned! On Friday, I saw this pretty pewter candle holder, which was being sold for a song, and of course I had to buy it! I wanted to use it for putting Kateri to bed. There is something so calming and beautiful about a single candle flickering in a dark room. It brings to mind passages in the bible, and also makes me think of all the people through the ages who have also lit candles while they said night-prayers and then went to bed. And so the past few nights, we have lit this candle, and turned out the lights while saying our night-prayers with Kateri as the candle casts a soft light through the room. There is such a coziness that only a candle can bring!
 
Not the greatest picture, because I snapped it with my phone, but it gives an idea of the effect  . . .
 
 
 
7. Bath time! For Kateri, I mean. It is just wonderful to see how much she enjoys every moment of it. Tonight, I went over to my mom's house for dinner (which was absolutely delicious, by the way) because Pat was working at a DJ gig. Charlotte was also there because my parents were babysitting her for Mikey and Laura. And so, after dinner, we decided to give K-bear and Charlotte a bath in the double-sink, one girl on each side! They had a BLAST. In fact, they had so much fun that we had to use both of their towels and about 10 washcloths to dry some of the water they splashed across the entire kitchen. We ended up using at least four towels and an untold number of washcloths. And, when bath time was finally over, both girls wailed and wailed as if the end of the world had come. My poor dad was trying to talk to my grandparents, and the cacophony was so glorious and extreme and he was forced to retreat to some quiet corner. My parents did snap some great pictures! Pre-crying, of course! But I still feel funny posting bath-pictures online, *sigh*, so you will be spared looking at even more of my pictures.     
 
 So those are seven of my favorite things . . . Do you have any little thing that has made you smile or brought you extra joy lately?




No comments:

Post a Comment