Wednesday, October 22, 2014

We are *finally* catching some ZZZ's around here!

So, it is cold, dreary, rainy and generally 'blah' outside.

But, in here, it is perfectly lovely!

Primary reason: both children are sleeping now.

Secondary reason: both children slept last night!

This is seriously ground-breaking in my life right now. For weeks, Sebastian would sleep a couple hours right when I put him down (his only consecutive sleep for the day) and then wake up, then eventually be rocked/cajoled/soothed back to sleep only to wake up again in 15 to 30 minutes. And, then repeat, every 15 minutes, until morning came.

And naptime? nope. no naptime around here folks! Potentially 20 or 30 minutes, but not more!

So the grand total of sleep in 24 hours was a very dismal and depressing low number that I never wanted to actually add up but was in the neighborhood of 5 to 7 hours max. I thought three month olds were supposed to sleep more than that?

It was so very depressing. If there was even three hours of consecutive sleep in 24 hours was a great gift. It was honestly the hardest time I have ever had sleep wise, I dreaded going to bed at night because I knew what was coming, and when I finally got up in the morning the day stretched ahead of me in dreary bleakness and I didn't know how to get through it. Even things that I loved were losing their appeal, the whole world seemed to be losing its vivid color and turning into a dull boring place void of all beauty, excitement, and feeling.

(Side note: Pat was awesome and took over a bunch of things; he also watched the kiddos so I could go on a solo run whenever possible. This brought some sanity!)

I tried everything I could think of to help Sebastian sleep more, and nothing helped.

Finally, last week, I took Sebastian to the doctor for his 4 month appointment.

Here he is before his shots:

Poor kid has no idea what's coming
He weighed in at 15 pounds on the dot, and is in great health, thanks be to God!

So when I divulged our severe sleeping woes, Dr G just smiled and said, "Sebastian is pulling your chain. I don't think it's teeth, acid reflux, or hunger."

hmmm No more of THAT, Sebastian! That very night, we moved him out of our room and into the guest room (for transition time until K and S can share a room . . . we hope). Getting to sleep was a bit rough for him, but guess what! He slept three hours in a row. And after he got up and ate, he slept another three hours in a row. The heavens opened and the hallelujah chorus poured forth.

Pat and I agreed that we could feel life and energy pouring into our veins. Sleep is seriously the best luxury EVER. And the ENERGY. I have so much more of it and can actually get something accomplished during the day (even a big thing like going to Southern States with both kiddos and buying rabbit food. Yes. You see how rough it was when you realize an outing like that is a big accomplishment!). It really makes me realize I need to pray for a spirit of gratitude. How many things do I forget to be thankful for and just take for granted? Sleep was definitely one of them. But there are so many others: eyesight, the ability to run, hearing, freedom of religion, knowing so many wonderful friends, having a supportive family living nearby . . . and the list goes on and on. What a reminder to be a whole lot more thankful; and in perfect time right as we are about to start November and prepare for Thanksgiving.

Sebastian is also so much happier and so much more content. He just seems more relaxed and ready to enjoy life.

And, by the way, his shots were not nearly as traumatic as I thought they would be.

A minute or two post shots

I am beyond grateful!!

And, now that the heavy, grey, energy-sapping veil of sleeplessness is lifting, I really hope to get back to blogging more (and cleaning, cooking, etc etc)!

No comments:

Post a Comment